7 October 2008

Conditional Clauses -/ If-Clauses


Type I

Die Erfüllung der Bedingung ist sehr wahrscheinlich. (was wird sein, wenn...)

if-clause main-clause
If + simple present - will future
- modales Hilfsverb (can, must, may + Infintiv)
- Imperative

If I learn,
If Ben gets up early,
If you see John tonight,
I will pass the exams. (will future)
he can catch the bus. (Hilfsverb)
tell him to email me. (imperative)

Type II

Die Erfüllung der Bedingung ist unwahrscheinlich (aber grundsätzlich noch möglich).
(was wäre, wenn...)

if-clause main-clause
If + simple past - would/could/might + Infintiv

If I learned,
If we told them the truth,
If you took more exercise,
I could pass the exams.
they wouldn't believe us.
you might feel better.

Type III

Die Erfüllung der Bedingung ist unmöglich (weil man von der Vergangenheit spricht).
(was hätte sein können, wenn... / was wäre anders gelaufen, wenn...)

if-clause main-clause
If + past perfect - would/could/might + have + past participle

If I had learned,
If I'd had enough money,
If Anne hadn't lent the money,
I might have passed the exams.
I could have gone to California.
we wouldn't have been able to buy the car.

Beachte:

  1. Der if-Satz kann auch dem Hauptsatz nachgestellt sein/werden.
    Achte immer darauf, wo der if-Satz steht
  2. Kommaregelung:
    Steht der If-Satz am Anfang, so steht an dessen Ende ein Komma,
    steht jedoch der Hauptsatz am Anfang, so wird kein Komma verwendet, denn durch das "if" ist die Abgrenzung eindeutig.

Beispiele:

1) If I have time, I will phone you. → I will phone you if I have time.
2) If he had more time, he would help her. → He would help her if he had more time.

No comments: